Professor Shukla sits on several boards and advisory councils and is regularly invited as a speaker for academic and corporate events worldwide. He has been involved with several international academic organizations as well as corporations in advisory capacity. He has been invited to chair many symposia and conferences around the world. Some of the selected activities are listed below.
- Advisor to the board – Dr. Adams Laboratories, UK (2019 – current)
- Advisory council member – International Management Research Academy (IMRA), London, UK (2011 – current).
IMRA is a global academy dedicated to the continuous and effective development of management theory and practice. With more than 750 active members its mission is to be a collaborative catalyst between academics and practitioners in fostering relationships via creation, assistance and dissemination of cutting-edge management thinking.
- University Board of Advisory – Kean University, USA (2013 – 2019).
Kean University is more than 150 years old coeducational, public research university located in Union and Hillside, New Jersey, United States. It was named a noteworthy College of the Year in 2001 by Time and in 2008 was designated one of the five best diverse colleges in the nation by Diversity Inc.
- Former Founding partner, 7th Sense Management Consulting & Training (UK, India) (2004 – 2009).
7th Sense is an international management consulting firm with clients such as Google, Microsoft, Churchill insurance, British Telecom, Tata Telecom, Reliance Industries Ltd. ICICI Bank India, Development Credit Bank India, Jindal Steel among others.
- Academic Advisory Council member, Atmiya Institute of Management Studies (India) (2004 – 2008).
Sarvoday Kelvani Samaj. Helped in building the academic set-up for the new business school. The foundation already caters to more than 10,000 students in various fields of study including sciences and technology.
- Conference co-chair – 2015 IMRA-IIMB International Conference, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, India.
- Conference co-chair – 2014 IMRA-Kean International Conference, New Jersey, USA organized by the International Management Research Academy, London – UK and Kean University, USA.
- Conference co-chair – 2013 IMRA International Conference, Zagreb, Croatia organized by the International Management Research Academy, London – UK and Rochester Institute of Technology/American College of Technology (RIT/ACMT), US.
- Conference co-chair – 2012 Emerging Markets Conference organized by the International Management Research Academy
- Track chair – Marketing in Emerging and Transition Economies for the EMAC. 2009 – current.
- Track co-chair – Marketing in Emerging and Transition Economies for the EMAC 2008.
- Track chair – Marketing in Emerging Markets for the 9th Bi-Annual conference of The European Association for Comparative Economic Studies (EACES) being held at University of Brighton, UK in Sep 2006.
- Creating & Maintaining Organizational Value in Times of Crisis – Keynote address at the TAPMI-UoS conference on Back to Business, (2020)
- The New Internet Roundtable – Plenary panel organized by Liveramp, UK (2020)
- Digital and Data-Driven Marketing in a Post COVID-19 Era – Plenary speech at the Skill Park Kerala ASAP Series for Government of Kerala, India (2020)
- Delivering Value from a Perspective of Data-Driven Marketing – Plenary speech at the Digital Marketing During COVID-19 CXO Summit, India (2020)
- Sustainable Consumption: What’s new? What’s different? – Keynote address at the GRD Institute of Management, India (2020)
- Digital Marketing & Luxury Consumption – Keynote address at the Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia (2020)
- How consumers’ ethical attributes impact buying behaviour – plenary speech at Anti-Counterfeiting Group (ACG) Annual Conference, UK (2019)
- Getting your reader hooked: developing appropriate positioning for your research – German University of Cairo, Egypt (2019)
- Internationalization of Higher Education: Global Partnerships and Research – plenary speech at UK-India Higher Education Seminar on Globalization of Higher Education: Comparative Perspective organized at Royal Society, UK (2019)
- Luxury: A rich history – Chandragupta Institute of Management Patna, India (2019)
- The influence of consumer attitudes on buying counterfeit goods – plenary speech at Anti-Counterfeiting Group (ACG) Annual Conference, UK (2018)
- Luxury Marketing across the Borders: Understanding Luxury Consumer Motivations in Developed Economies and Emerging Markets – Plenary speech at the Academy of Marketing Science, World Marketing Congress, Porto, Portugal (2018)
- Personalised media and its existential consequences – Keynote address at the International Conference on Media, Culture and Ethics, Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences, Pilani, India (2018)
- Luxury markets and marketing – the changing global narrative – Keynote address at the 7th International Conference on Restructuring of the Global Economy (ROGE), University of Oxford, UK (2017)
- Regenerating brand value proposition – Cambridge International Management Ltd, UK (2016)
- Luxury and Innovation: A marriage made in heaven – Warwick University, UK (2016)
- Status Consumption: A Journey Through Time and Culture – Middlesex University, UK (2015)
- Status Consumption: A Journey Through Time and Culture – University of Huddersfield, UK (2015)
- Status Consumption – from history to recent advancements – University of Brighton, UK (2015)
- Exploring Luxury Value Perceptions in Western Developed and Eastern Emerging Markets – University of Warwick, UK (2014)
- Impression Management Motives to Conspicuous Consumption: Beyond Thorstein Veblen – Keynote speech at the 2014 ABRM-IMRA International Conference, University of Cambridge, UK 2014
- Different Strokes for Different Folks: Managing Cross-Cultural Research Projects – Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, India (2014)
- Status Consumption: A Journey through Time and Cultures – Pandit Dindayal Petroleum University, India (2014)
- Status Consumption: A Journey through Time and Cultures – Hull University, UK (2013).
- Comparing French, German and Italian Marketing Practices – ESMT, Germany (2012 – with Keith Perks).
- Status Consumption: A Journey through Time and Cultures – Misr International University, Egypt (2011).
- Advances in Customer Equity Management – Misr International University, Egypt (2010).
- Marketing in emerging markets – University of Essex, UK (2009).
- Marketing to Indian consumers: emerging perspectives – University of Nebraska at Omaha, USA (2009).
- Customer expectations management – Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani, India (2007).
Book series editorship
- Book series editor – Palgrave Advances in Luxury – with Palgrave Macmillan.
- Book series editor – Marketing in Emerging Markets – with Emerald.
Guest editorship of journal special issues
- Guest editor – special issue on Old Wine in New Bottles? Revisiting Electronic Word-of-Mouth (eWOM) for the Journal of Business Research (forthcoming) – with Hongfei Liu, Chanaka Jayawardhena, Victoria-Sophie Osburg and Vignesh Yoganathan.
- Guest editor – special issue on Emerging Trends for Marketing in Asia for the Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics (Vol. 25, No. 1, 2013) – with Kim Fam and Ernest Cyril de Run.
- Guest editor – Special issue on n Management Trends in Emerging Markets for the Asian Journal of Business Research – with Jatin Pancholi (vol. 3, no. 2, 2013).
- Guest Editor – special issue on Emerging Paradigms in the Indian Marketplace for the Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics (vol. 18, no. 4, 2006).
- Founding Editor – AIMSiNEWS – A quarterly newsletter of Association of Indian Management Scholars, USA